recipes from the table of the vegan vulcan

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

garlicky kale sautee

Kale is so good. And good for you, as I learned over at the Vegan Lunchbox (kale helps prevent macular degeneration, apparently!).

We eat it usually once a week, in various ways. I'm working on a recipe for polenta/kale/lentil casserole, but it's not quite up to perfect yet. Hopefully soon!

Garlicky Kale Sautee

1 bunch organic kale (I like the flatter-leaf kind)
3 cloves garlic, chopped roughly
1 medium red onion, chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste

Thoroughly wash and dry the kale. Chop into bite-sized pieces.

Heat oil over medium heat. Toss in garlic and onions, sautee until the onions are translucent and the garlic smells awesome (I'm not sure what the technical term for "awesome" is, but whatever). Add kale, stirring gently to coat the kale in the garlic, onions, and oil. Salt the kale lightly, as it will help it to break down more quickly.

When the kale turns bright green and is just barely soft (a minute or two, no more), sprinkle on the cinnamon and black pepper. Cook kale until desired done-ness. I like my kale still firm and somewhat crunchy-- a few minutes (no more than a few minutes after adding cinnamon). Some folks like their greens done well, so cook to taste. Add more salt, if desired.

I have put this kale into casseroles and enchiladas, and I've also just eaten it as a side veggie. It's awesome any way you serve it. Eat your greens-- give kale some love!

2 Comments:

Blogger xsparklerx said...

Mmmm that sounds so good. If only I could find some kale. I guess I'll have to start a list of impossible to find veggies (I've been looking for brussel sprouts for about a month now, with no sucess)

March 30, 2006

 
Blogger Addy N. said...

Hi v.v.:
I love kale, too. One of my favorite ways to eat it is this recipe from Vegetarian Times. I also add a clove of pressed garlic to the sauce before combining with the noodles and kale.

Take care

April 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home