recipes from the table of the vegan vulcan

Monday, March 20, 2006

vegan enchiladas

These are easy and good as all get-out.

Vegan Enchiladas

2 tbs. olive oil
1 red onion, roughly chopped
1 green pepper, roughly chopped
2 jalepenos, minced-- one with seeds, one without seeds (use gloves)
2 cloves fresh garlic, finely chopped
2 small tomatoes, chopped
1 can low-sodium black beans, drained
5 whole-wheat tortillas
salt
pepper
ground cumin to taste (I use a few teaspoons, but I like it cuminy)
soy sour cream
salsa

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium pan, heat the olive oil. Sautee the onions until translucent, 3 or 4 minutes. Add the green peppers, garlic, and jalepenos. Sprinkle on some salt, if desired. When vegetables are nearly done, add tomatoes and cook until soft. Set aside.

In a small bowl, mash the black beans (I used a potato masher, but you could use a fork). Mix in the vegetables, and stir until combined. The beans will loosen with the moisture from the vegetables, and take on a creamy texture.

Steam the tortillas (I put them in my microwave with a damp paper towel. Gently spoon in the filling, careful not to put in too much. Roll like a burrito, and place in a glass baking pan sprayed with canola spray. Roll all the enchiladas, place in the pan, and put them in the oven. Bake until the tops are crispy and they smell good.

I don't know if they really qualify as enchiladas, but that's the closest approximation of what they are, I suppose. I had mine with soy sour cream and salsa, but my fiancee put some unfortunate-looking grated soy cheese on his. I'm not a big fan of soy cheese, though, so I'm biased.

3 Comments:

Blogger xsparklerx said...

I've been wondering what to do with the huge amount of frozen black beans I have, I'll probably end up making this if I can find myself tortillas here.
Thanks :)

March 21, 2006

 
Blogger Dom said...

that sounds good! I'm not a big fan of the vegan gourmet cheddar but its not too bad on enchiladas.

March 25, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sounds really good; however, it's not an enchilada. You can't make enchiladas without red chile. It's a required ingredient, sort of like how you can't have tofu scramble without tofu.

If you can't get dried red chiles in your area to make your own, you can use re-constituted red chile powder, but it's not nearly as good. Dip your (corn - never flour!) tortillas into the red chile, fill, and either fry or bake in a caserole dish (frying is faster but baking is better tasting and more authentic).

I'll certainly be trying your enchilada filling... but you can't have an enchilada without almost excessive amounts of red chile! :-)

March 31, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home