recipes from the table of the vegan vulcan

Friday, March 17, 2006

mashed potatoes are awesome

Especially these. If you're looking to bring a kick-ass side dish to a family dinner or friendly get-together, these are really good. But make sure you get some on your plate if it's a communal gathering-- they are good enough that Murphy's Law of Veganism will most definately apply to them (you bring something vegan to a not-vegan event, but everyone eats your food because it's better than the omni crap).

Old-Fashioned Mashed Potatoes

4 large potatoes, cut into chunks with the skins left on
1/2 c. vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti brand)
4 tbs. Earth Balance or any vegan non-hydrogenated margerine
a nice handful of fresh chives, minced
Salt and pepper to taste

Cover your potatoes with water, salt the water, and bring to a boil. Boil until potatoes are soft. Drain, and mash with the margarine. Add sour cream and mash to desired consistancy (I like mine kind of chunky). Add in black pepper, and taste for seasonings. Add more sour cream and margerine, if you like. Stir in chives.

Not the most complicated thing, but damn good. I have plans in the future for baking a mess of russets, scooping them out, making this mixture, adding in some nutritional yeast, and turning them into twice-baked potatoes. Oh. Oh yeah.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

another recipe to try, here i cant find ?have the sour cream not one sell it. any replacement you can think?
thanks,
J.

March 18, 2006

 
Blogger Molly said...

johana--

here is a recipe for soy sour cream I found over at www.vegweb.com:
__

Tofu Sour Cream

Ingredients
1 10.5-ounce package of lite silken tofu(firm), crumbled
1 Tablespoon canola or olive oil
4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice(fresh is best)
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sweetener(any you want)
1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions:

Place all ingredients in a food processor(with metal blade) or blender. Process several minutes, until very creamy and smooth. Make sure you process it for a few minutes to ensure the creamy texture. Refrigerate.

___

Alternately, I've just seen blending 1 cup of silken tofu (I'm guessing the vaccuum-sealed mori-nu style, if you have that in P.R.) with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.

www.vegweb.com has great recipes, and they are user rated, between 1 and 5 stars. I found the recipe for the "buttercream" icing used on my cupcakes over there. I definately reccomend the site!

Good luck, and let me know how it turns out if you make it! I think they would be great with just some chives and nonhydrogenated vegan margarine, as well. Mashed potatoes are so good, aren't they?

March 18, 2006

 
Blogger Molly said...

I forgot to say that I haven't tried either of the above, but when I find one I like, I'll post the recipe.

March 18, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks so much girl!!
i already have the ingredients here so i make it last night so they turn out...... super good wohooo. my litle girl eat lots of the mashed potato. and the sour cream was very good too.

thanks master vegan vulcan.

p.s my english is not so good, i live in a island who speak spanish, so sorry if sometimes i dont write ok the words:)

March 19, 2006

 
Blogger Molly said...

johana,

Which recpie did you use, was it the one from vegweb? I'm glad it worked out well, and that your little girl enjoyed it! Are you raising her to be vegan?

Thanks for all your kind words!

March 20, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i use the vegweb one recipe.:)
yes im raising my litle one vegan, and is very difficult becouse all my family are omni. and look me like i come fron jupiter or something like that, and they are always offering to my litle one junk and meat and she sometimes want it. i let her eat some candies and some cheese couse the pressure , but i really prefer to make her food and snack so she eat healthy all the time, when she dont see my family all is ok but when she have a "visit" all turns wild lol.

johana

March 20, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home